Wednesday 21 October 2009

Church of the Holy Sepulchre made me sick

it didn't really. it was the pomegranate juice... we went to Jerusalem for the day, tour in the morning and seminar in the afternoon. I'll do a separate blog for the seminars. but back to the church or rather back to the Wailing Wall. this was where our tour started and it was another scorching day. we joined lots of other tourists looking at the Wailing Wall where there was no shade at all and then we queued in the heat for the Al Axar Mosque where there was little shade and then we walked through the Muslim alleyways to get to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. lots and lots of people and tourists and heat and religious stuff and by the time we got there I really didn't want to see another Church. OK I know it's not just another church but if you're a non believer and you're fed up with all this religious stuff including pilgrims chanting carrying a cross you think the world is mad and a little less religion would be a good thing. so I wandered off with N my new Muslim friend and found some freshly squeezed pomegranate juice. came back to the steps of the Church of the Holy Sep and its hundreds of tourists milling around and suddenly felt horribly sick. (it was the juice not the heat). absolutely nowhere to go! you can't be sick on the steps of the Church of the Holy Sep. so I rushed to our guide and said help and she took me to the Lutheran Church nearby where she knew there was a bathroom. so the Lutherans saved me from defacing the front of one of the holiest places in Christendom.

No comments:

Post a Comment